Friday, May 27, 2011

PS Stephenie Meyers

P.S. Stephenie Meyers-
    Today it hit me. Something I should have mentioned in my letter. I envy your fans. Don't misunderstand me, I don't wish I was 17 or a vampire or crazy, but I wish I had that connection to something. I see it all the time, especially in school. Students are committed to the things they love. Whether it's Twilight, Taylor Swift, Justin Beiber, American Idol, whatever they love it. They have to have everything, read everything, hear everything. They can reread, relisten or rewatch everything. Sure I like a lot of things. I like the Harry Potter series and the movies and I'll go opening night but I'm not counting the hours, reading the spoilers or writing my own fan fiction.I don't think about anything the way Twilight fans think about these stories.
  I saw a show, Oprah maybe, about Twilight fans. These moms got together once a month every month to do something Twilight related. The entire basement for their houses would be decorated and everything was Twilight inspired. The food, the decor, the conversation, everything had some touch of twilight or it wasn't there. I can't imagine liking, no loving, something so much. 
   Sure I had some similar situations as a teenager. I went through my JTT, Hanson and N Sync phases. I could spout out facts and lyrics, covered my walls and bought the merchandise but a few years later and it was gone. Sure I still like the music, but I don't remember birth dates, sibling names or favorite movie anymore. And maybe it's just that. Maybe I'm too old to be a Twi-hard. Maybe you can only feel that way about something when you're young and don't have the worries of adulthood. It's hard to think about Bella and Edward's undying love when the state is cutting your pension, you house has lost thousands of dollars in value and your boss is breathing down your neck. Reality has it's way of taking priority over vampires and country singers. I know adults have obsessions. I have many friends who are Parrotheads, theater junkies, roller coaster enthusiasts, plenty of Disney freaks  and many more. They are adults who deal with real life problems and usually the things they love are the things that take them away from their problems. So maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm not the the type to obsess over something like that. Maybe I haven't found something to obsess over. So Stephenie Meyers, I am grateful for what you have given the world, something to love more than anything. I wish I could count myself that lucky.

Sincerely,

KT

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment