Wednesday, March 30, 2011

December, Trying Again

This is my second attempt at a blog. I had tried to write before about my frustrations, particularly in the education world.  I tried to write sneering, melodramatic parody to shun those in power with the word of the people.
It didn't go so well. Why? Cause I'm not the sneering, parody writing type (but I am melodramatic).  I've just spent the last hour updating my Ipod with all my Glee CDs and searching people.com for the latest news on the Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron's break up. I've been telling Bella, "we don't bite our mommies!" This is not the life a rebel writer who will change the face education. Am I unhappy with how things are going in education? Of course. There is too much testing and not enough teaching. Everything you loved about school is gone. Art, music, theater, all gone. Singing songs, writing our own stories, month long projects don't fit in the curriculum time line. My greatest memories are being the tooth decay play, writing our own novel, having book celebrations, making Christmas decorations, going on field trips, and hearing hours upon hours of read aloud stories. I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes of read aloud a day. It's sad.
But that's not what this blog is going to be about. As my good friend Bonnie pointed out, my blog should not be work. Sure, some people use their blog for social change. They research, point, counterpoint and strive to be the change that the world needs. But lucky for me, it's a big internet. If I want to be the other kind of blog. The kind that asks strange questions, tells lame stories that I only think are funny and incesssively talk about my cat because my boyfriend doesn't want me to talk about him. And that's okay.
There are many educational reform blogs out there. This isn't one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment